Saturday, September 11, 2010

RIP Jack Oliver Bartlett

My grandpa, my hero, passed away on Friday, September 3, 2010. Bart and I were on the way to Tennessee to visit his parents when we got the news. We stayed in TN for a few days, which I'll post about soon, and ended up coming home early. I didn't get to spend as much time with my grandfather growing up as I wanted to, but the time I did spend with him I will always chrerish. From "spagetti's" while fishing to stories from his life, I will never forget the many things he taught me. His obituary is below.


































Jack Oliver Bartlett, 77, of Bostwick, Fla., passed away Friday, September 3, 2010, at his home. The outstanding and courageous battle he fought for so long was for his family, whom he adored with all of his heart.

He was born June 10, 1933, in Asheville, N.C., and proudly served in the U.S. Air Force for seven years. He went on to become an entrepreneur, owning several service stations in the Jacksonville area and proudly served many years as a brother with Masonic Lodge No. 309 F&AM in Jacksonville.

He raised his family in St. Augustine and retired with his wife of Bostwick, enjoying much of his free time golfing and fishing with family and friends.

Jack will be missed by each and every person who had the pleasure of knowing him, but we know that he is now with his God, along with his father and mother, Lloyd and Hilda Bartlett, and his son, Jack Oliver, Jr.

He is survived by his loving wife of 57 years, Carolyn Bartlett of Bostwick; daughters Debra Garza of Jacksonville, Diana Savage of St. Augustine and LouLane Polla of Elkton; three grandchildren, Vickie Lee of St. Johns, Fla, and Jennifer Clendenin and John Tipton, both of St. Augustine; and one great-grandchild.

Memorial services will be held at 1 p.m. Thursday, Sept 9, 2010, at the Johnson-Overturf Funeral Home in Palatka, with Brother David Eddins officiating. The Masonic Lodge will conduct funeral honors and the U.S. Air Force will conduct military honors. Friends may call from 12 to 1 p.m. Thursday at the Johnson-Overturn Funeral Home in Palatka.

No comments: